Founded in 2001, Sophia Academy is independent school for girls in grades 5-8 in Providence, Rhode Island.
Accredited by the Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE), Sophia provides a gender-specific, rigorous middle school education that focuses on the academic and social growth of 60 girls.
The students reflect the racial and ethnic diversity of the City of Providence.
Changing the lives of girls from low income homes through an empowering middle school education.
- We are student centered. We encourage moments of deep reflection, based on a firm belief that each student possesses inherent wisdom which will guide her in her learning and life journey.
- We are gender responsive. We take a relational approach which is strength-based, which emphasizes cultural competency, and which focuses on each middle school girl’s unique and affirming qualities.
- We have an intellectually engaging and holistic curriculum. We employ research-based best practices in middle school education that prepare our graduates for the world.
- We cultivate community leaders. We help our students advocate for themselves, for one another, and for a just society, and we provide them with opportunities to lead within the school and community.
- We engender lifelong learning. We deliver a wide array of on- and off-campus experiences which promote active hands-on learning by our students, and which inspire our faculty, parents, and alumnae to fully engage as learners and teachers.
As a new day begins
I will keep my head held high
I will open my eyes and heart
So I’m ready to expand my mind
I will let my wisdom shine.
I will hold on to the gifts inside me
Our arms are like dove’s wings
Hugging the world’s every opportunity.
I will join hands with my sisters
In this community
With Courage, Respect, Responsibility and Peace
We know we will succeed.