To apply, send cover letter, resume, references:
Vernell Clouden, Director of Development, Sophia Academy
Founded in 2001 by visionary social justice advocate Sister Mary Reilly RSM, Sophia Academy serves 60 girls in grades 5-8 in Providence, RI. The school seeks a Development Associate to play a key role in taking Sophia Academy to the next level of growth.
This position offers a creative, strategic, relationship-oriented professional the unique opportunity to be a pivotal part of a team that advances the critical mission of changing the lives of girls from low income homes through an empowering middle school education.
Since its founding, Sophia has grown into a respected institution in Rhode Island’s K-12 education community. The faculty nurtures, challenges, and empowers young girls; Sophia prepares them to excel academically and to become engaged citizens poised to make a difference in their communities. Ninety-five percent of Sophia graduates complete high school in four years and most continue on to postsecondary education. Sophia students outperform their Providence and Rhode Island peers on standardized testing and other indicators such as attendance.
The school is accredited by the Association of Independent Schools of New England (AISNE). Sophia’s strong social justice ethos has attracted the attention of such inspiring women as #MeToo cofounder Tarana Burke and Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafsai, and its dedicated and talented faculty are recognized state-wide for their excellence.
With an excellent and proven academic program, a core of generous donors, a committed Board, and a Head of School with extensive Development and Strategic Planning experience, the school is poised to advance.
Sophia Academy raises over $1 million per year for operations (programs, students, and faculty) as well as additional funds for special projects and facility maintenance. A major Gala, Sophia Academy’s Women of Wisdom event, is held annually in the spring, and raises approximately $275,000 per year. It was also at this event (in 2016) that the school’s first seven-figure gift to the endowment was announced.
Development Associate Responsibilities
The Development Associate reports to the Director of Development and works in close collaboration with the team that plans and executes Sophia’s fundraising strategies.
Annual Fund and Database Management
– Maintains data policies and procedures, ensuring data integrity
– Promptly and accurately enters donations into database and generates donor acknowledgment letters
– Produces appeals, manages mailings
– Assists supervisor in reporting on the progress of the annual fund
– Supports Head of School, Director of Development, and Trustees in their efforts to cultivate and steward major donors, including conducting prospect research, preparing for visits, maintaining donor records and contact reports, and other duties as assigned
– Assembles and submits grant requests, including letters of support, proposals, budgets, artwork samples, and other necessary documents
– Provides support for logistics and fund raising activities aligned with events
– Maintains database records for events
– Produces and manages lists
– Manages mailings related to events
Communications and Social Media
– Photographs and video school events and activities; posts on social media
– Updates information for the school web site and other communications projects
Other Duties as assigned
Experience and Qualifications
– High level of computer literacy and experience working with donor databases required
– Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills are essential; attention to detail is a must
– Enthusiasm for working in a close-knit, student-centered school environment
– Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized
– Ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct fashion
– Ability and willingness to work collaboratively in a team oriented environment
– Organized and community-minded thinker and communicator, able to balance interpersonal needs with administrative deadlines
– Ability to handle donor and personal information with sensitivity and confidentiality
– Demonstrated commitment to achieving results
– Clearances required
– Excellent communications skills, written and oral
– Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
– Passion and commitment to social justice and/or girls education and equity
– Sense of humor
Download job description Development Associate.
Sophia Academy is an EEO/AA employer.