“Sophia is where I learned that I have a voice, and it’s a big one, one that can change the world!”
– Imani Gonzalez, Sophia Academy Class of 2015, and Paul Cuffee School Class of 2019
Welcome to Sophia Academy, where girls of promise spend their critical middle school years engaged in a rigorous and joyful learning environment that guides them to discover who they are and what they can achieve.
Sophia students bring their gifts and talents to make the world a better place, embracing the values of courage, respect, responsibility, and peace.
When you visit our school, you will see:
– Young girls who take their responsibility to the community seriously, care for their school, and understand that they can – and do – make a difference.
Their spirit of determination, conviction, love, and action reflect that of our founder, Sister Mary Reilly RSM, the Sisters’ Collaborative, and the many other passionate people who helped establish Sophia Academy in 2001. Their spirit is also reflected in Ms. Gigi DiBello, who recently completed an amazing 11-year tenure as head of school. Under her leadership, Sophia took many significant leaps forward while maintaining and strengthening its strong social justice ethos.
– Excellent teaching that empowers our students to engage energetically in learning—responsive, challenging, and exciting classrooms in which girls think critically, solve problems, and support one another.
Other schools are beginning to understand things we have long known and practiced:
- Students learn best when they trust their teachers;
- Students develop intellectually when we integrate social/emotional learning with academics;
- Students become lifelong learners when our teachers hold them to high intellectual and ethical standards and when learning immerses them in real-world problem solving.
And when your visit ends, you will leave feeling confident in our ability to continue building a vital future for Sophia and our students. There is no more important endeavor than helping young girls from low income homes in Providence find within themselves the strength, joy, and will to excel and engage.
We invite you to be a part of it.
Visit us at our Sister Mary Reilly Campus in Providence, to meet our students and to see how they flourish in a joyful and supportive environment that intentionally draws forth their confidence, intellect and drive.
Maura L. Farrell